Wednesday, July 13, 2011

PREPOSITION TIME

So like I just said in my Jaycee Dugard post, some idiomatic prepositions can seem wrong sometimes.  Sometimes you should be able to pick a different preposition or phrase instead.

The technically correct way to say this would be:  Jaycee Dugard had two daughters with Phillip Garrido.

The preposition, with, in this situation makes it sound like Garrido was with Jaycee in a way that a father should be but being with someone is physically being there with them, the whole time.  Not locking them in a shed for the nine months of the pregnancy.  That's not how it works.

Jaycee Dugard had two daughters by herself but Phillip Garrido was kind of involved I guess.

Another example of this preposition failure is with "to fall in love with."  Embarrassingly enough for me, sometimes you fall in love alone.  I'm not particularly in love with anyone, but sometimes I am definitely in love at a boy.  or two.  or seven.  It's like falling in love alone, falling in love at.

Same thing with talking to.  I'm sure you've felt this too, sometimes are people talking at you?  Not to you.  Just at you.  Hammering their words into you?  Yeah, you know how this feels.

and on a different note:

"Maybe I believe in a higher power, but I believe in nature and the beauty around me."
-Jaycee Dugard

Me too.  I don't know anything about God and I don't believe I ever will, but I sure do believe in the universe.  I like that to me, the universe created everything.  It is the mother and father of everything.  Isn't that what a God is anyways?

Alright and I leave you with a question I've been asking myself for a few weeks now that I can't figure out:
If you know something and then find out that what you knew was false, did you ever really know it in the first place?  Am I crazy, do you understand what I mean?

1 comment:

  1. this is all so convoluted but I know exactly what you mean. And I watched the interviews with Jaycee and I'm seriously just amazed how poised she is. And the thing about the 5th grade education was the first thing I thought too :/

    ReplyDelete

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura