Sunday, October 2, 2011

End of Mockingjay- spoilers

I would say all of this to a friend of mine (not you izabela, but we can talk about it now) with whom I was discussing the hunger games about 200 pages ago, but I can't say the word fuck to her :

SPOILERS.  STOP READING IF YOU PLAN ON READING THESE BOOKS.

I'm on page 370 of Mockingjay and I would just like to say WHAT THE FUCK SUZANNE COLLINS HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND.  I am so confused and pissed and this must be awesomely persuasive writing because I LITERALLY feel like throwing up-  what the HELL.  When I say things out loud in stead of keeping them locked inside my head sometimes they make more sense but no.  And I just read the paragraph again and still, no.  Instead of killing all of the capitol citizens-ignorant people, innocent, stupid people- they're going to have ANOTHER HUNGER GAMES WHAT?  I'm SORRY?  Because that's not what got this revolution ball ROLLING IN THE FIRST PLACE HOW WAS THIS EVER EVEN AN IDEA WHAT THE FUCK

I'm sorry?  What the hell is going on?  The Hunger Games was a book I understood.  Catching Fire was that awkward sequel book but the writing wasn't yet convoluted and fucking difficult to understand.  But Mockingjay?  I mean the first 300 pages were chill and I got it (it was boring but whatever) but now I don't even understand what half of it is supposed to mean and then

why would Katniss agree to another hunger games for PRIM?  PRIM NEVER WOULD HAVE AGREED TO THAT THAT'S SO VENGEFUL AND DISGUSTING I HATE IT.

Peets is the only clearly thinking person who is still alive in this whole novel and I love him for it

AND DAMN, THIS DOES HAVE A STUPID 1984-ESQUE ENDING, I CALLED IT.

no seriously i just read that page again and i might go vomit
why did she just say thats okay... obviously nothing was ever going to change but WHY WOULD THEY HAVE MORE HUNGER GAMES

oh my GOD

okay I'm going to try to read the last 18 pages now.

Nor quite there yet but Plutarch's parting words to Katniss are "don't be a stranger"  Those were Ray's parting words to Laura and I.  It's funny how similar the two actually are- Plutarch and Ray.  Disregard for the human species, belief it's hopeless and that he is above it for knowing that.  Maybe I'm wrong that that is Ray's outlook but I think it kind of is.

----
Okay now I've read the last 18 pages and the epilogue.  I'd say the epilogue was underwhelming and a little cliche- if a book does have an epilogue, it's ALWAYS about how the main character had children and the world is full of light and hope.  I'm not really feeling that right now especially when it's rainy and cold outside- but that's just me.

At first I misread the line that said Katniss shot Coin and I just thought it said she had shot Snow.  I skip words when I read and most of the time I don't miss any meaning.  I'm just kind of confused about the whole thing.  Although I completely understand why Katniss shot coin, was that why Katniss agreed to another Hunger Games for the capitol children? Because she knew she would shoot Coin?  Or did she not decide to shoot Coin until she looked in Snow's eyes?

Because I still don't understand how- in any world- Katniss would agree to another hunger games.  That just makes no sense to me.  I wish I could take a class about this series of books.  I want to know the in's and out's of every bit of it.  I want to know about every single metaphor and symbol and what every character meant and the significance of every name, like Snow and Coin, and I want to know why Katniss agreed to another hunger games.  I know that one of the English classes is reading the first book but I need a more in depth learning into all three books.  It's kind of strange that reading for pleasure has made me think this much as well as impressive.

I understand why Collins made the books get so unclear and convoluted as the revolution built up- because Katniss' worlds of the Capitol and the Revolution were on opposite sides but they were the same and even being mixed up with each other.  At least that's what I got from it.  I guess in some ways I just wrote a small analyses of Mockingjay so congrats Mrs. Thomas, I have officially entered into the realm of thinking like an AP Lang student.  I still feel like vomiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura