Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Part 2.

Two or so posts ago, I said that I was having a Holden Caulfield-ish night and I explained the night part of that but I didn't explain the Holden part of that.

Sooooo here it is.

So I left my house and my parents were confident of my whereabouts, similar to how the whole time Holden was adventuring about NYC, his parents thought he was safe at school.  I had that feeling of that if I died or if I just went somewhere really really far, no one would immediately know.  Which is surely a feeling that Holden had.

And I had all of the resources in the world, I was inside the same phone booth as Holden and I could have called people I knew but I didn't know who to call.  My phone booth however, was my car, and I could have driven to a bunch of different houses full of people I knew.  But I didn't know which one would welcome me, or if any of them would.  So I just sat in my phone booth and didn't call anyone at all.

And then I walked into a purely social event completely alone.  Holden watched the biggest football game of the season from atop a hill instead of in the stands with his peers.  We felt the same though.  Just that feeling of solemness  while walking into my high school all dressed up felt so unfamiliar.  I'm used to being alone, I'm an introvert and I love to be alone, but I've never felt so detached around so many people before.

And then there were the deer.  I sat and just watched deer for like 40 minutes, and no one does that.  Holden kept asking about the ducks.  I guess what I'm trying to say about that is that I and he were both far more interested in the nature that was innocent and honest around us than people and things that aren't.  I feel really bad for the deer here.  They're overpopulated and have way less land to live on than they require.  And we cut down more of their habitat here every day.   So we brought in wolves, to which deer are they're natural prey.  But it's not like we do that to humans.  We don't put polar bears in New York City for the purpose of human-munching.

I don't really have any specific conclusion for these things except that I've always thought I was a lot like Holden.  But isn't that the point of Catcher in the Rye?  That we all have a little Holden in us.  We all want to be kids forever and save other kids from the dreadful cliff that is the transition from childhood to adulthood.

So that's a little bit about my favorite book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura