Friday, February 4, 2011

poetry

Tonight I attended the second annual WHS poetry slam, and it was an experience.  It was around two and a half hours long, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.  After about half an hour, I realized that I would want to write a post about it soooo being me, I took notes.  At first they were on my phone... I just realized that I deleted those.  Whoops.  Good thing for paper!  After my phone thing got tedious I started to actually write out notes, thoughts and stuff.  And these are the notes.  These are half the notes, anyways...

-"Skinny jeans are uncomfortable"
- I love words
- Internal rhyme <3
- And i was like, "Heck yeah."  Squirrels!
- "Because God doesn't make promises lightly, and neither do I."
- Sometimes I don't wear shoes either... point those toes aw yeah.
- I miss Kevin Ritter
- Alliteration, Facebook and Harry Potter references <3
- Physicality ftw
- She just explored the mic. 
- Usage of you instead of I (John Green)
- Internal Rhyme AH bass voice <3
- Aaron Perkins wrote his second poem during the intermission last year...lololol.
- Baby voices freak me out
- Sam and I are far too hipster.  Good thing being hipster is a stereotype
- The speed of light is so fast.  In fact, it's the fastest
- PREFACE
- "our culture defines us"
- poem vs. monologue
- I don't feel bad coughing right now
- "you ARE them"
- Slut Dike Bitch
- "She made Her"
- ADE, ATION
- Shouldn't we be snapping
- "this is called... PENIS"
- It's new math... no it's not.
- "THAT'S MY DAD!" -Jeff
- I love when Erich speaks in his speaking voice, third poem ftw.

The quotes are all just funny things.  I feel bad judging any of the poets at all because they got up there and did it, but I do have things to say about elements of poetry that in general I love, and things I do not love so much. 

Here we go. There was one kid from St. Ignatius High School who stuck out in particular for the thing I was really looking for tonight and it was internal rhyme.  Regardless of the content of his poem, which was good to begin with, but you could tell he focused a lot on how his words went together.  He used internal rhyme more than any other poet tonight, and his poems sounded awesome for it. 

Sometimes the poems were walking the line between poetry and monologue.  Poetry should have some sort of rhythm or something that makes it a poem, but who am I to be defining poetry.  I don't know, sometimes it seemed like people were performing their poems, and at other times it seemed like they were more of just talking.

"Because God doesn't make promises lightly, and neither do I."  Genius line.  Love it.

But yeah, the poems were mostly really good.  I'm glad I went and I look forward to the next annual poetry slam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura