Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I have so many things!

-lifeguarding
-choir
-why I hate chem
-friendship
-my back and injury in general

Okay, now that I'm organized.  Those are probably the next four posts I'll write.
Anddddd we're off!

I work at theas a lifeguard.  Abbey Kane just did a post on lifeguarding as well and you can view that here
so yeah I'm a copycat whee!  Actually I was just doing a lot of thinking yesterday while I was guarding and this is what I came up with.

I got there at 5:45, early for my shift, and we needed another guard so I called my friend Keith and asked if he could come guard until close and he obliged.  I went and sat to guard the circle pool which is just the standard normal pool and the diving well which is attached to the circle pool.  This happens to me a lot but I'm always a little insulted when it does- an old man asked me if I was still awake.  In fact he did it kind of rudely.  He yelled out "I'm drowning, I'm drowning!"  Okay, first of all, if I could listen for people drowning because they ask for help, I would be playing angry birds while guarding.  But guess what, drowning is really silent actually.  That's why you have to use your eyes to guard.  And along with that, I'm at that pool guarding around 3 to 4 times a week.  I'm there enough to be used to it and I'm vigilant enough to not fall asleep.  Helloooooooooo?

A little bit later I was guarding the lap pool as a kid swim team had their practice.  The lane closest to me had in it a couple very little kids, probably around 7 or so.  For these kids, getting across the pool is a task in itself and it's difficult for them because they're so small.  I was thinking about the kind of heart it takes to be on a swim team when you're so young and have to swim full laps and I decided these kids are the ones you want working for you.  There weren't many of them but they were working so hard and I admired them for that as they swam away.

And then there's the water motor/aerobics class.  It's this class of ladies between 30 years and probably 60 years who do this kind of simple water workout every Monday and Wednesday.  I have a few issues with the class itself, but last night they were just kind of rude.  Their class officially ends at 9, meaning that they should be out of the pool by or at that time.  Especially last night.  Last night there was a boy, his father, his grandfather, and his mother there with a deep-water vehicle robot dealio, and they needed the diving well in order to do their experiments.  But of course, the women's class was in the diving well until what should have been 9 and the family was waiting to use that pool.  The class was in the diving well "jogging" laps around and then around 9:06, the teacher made an announcement.  I thought that she would say that they needed to get out, seeing as that they had already overstayed their allotted pool-time, but no, she said "time for wall work!"  They ended up being in the pool until around 9:14, leaving about 16 minutes for the boy and his family to use that pool before we closed down the pool for tonight.  The family left, defeated by the class, taking their cart-full of stuff with them.

I just had such a problem with how rude it was for the teacher of that class to stay in the pool so long after her pool time was over, especially when it was hindering so much the progress of that boy.  Just because they're older than the entire staff that night doesn't mean that they could just take over like that, and I felt so bad when that boy was walking out with his family.  It was sad to see them go like that, and there was nothing I could have done.

I guess the weird thing was that the people I looked up to most all day were the people I would actually be looking down at, the little girls in the lap pool and the boy with his water robot.  They handled themselves so much better than the ladies in that class and especially the lady in charge of that class.  Shouldn't adults be setting better examples for teenagers, especially when they're the ones who wish we would be more courteous?

It just kinda steamed my nuggets, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura