Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm a Rebecca Black fangirl.

I've noticed that people love to hate "Friday" by Rebecca Black.  Well guess what.  I love to love it. 

I'm so sick of people telling young teenagers that they're not talented, that they're the reason pop music sucks today, and that they "represent everything bad in the world."  PUH-LEASE.  Rebecca Black is a 13 year old kid who likes to sing (and there are MUCH worse things in the world than this song, which in no way represents everything bad in the world. Just no.).  When I was 13, I would've loved to get to produce a song and a music video, and had I written the lyrics myself, they certainly wouldn't have been better than those of Friday.  Seriously.  She's 13.  

This isn't the first time though that adults have let the reputations of young teenagers fall by the wayside:  we've seen it plenty.  I'll come back to Justin Bieber, but let us not forget the tragedy of Lindsay Lohan.  The name now carries a trashy connotation, but Lohan used to be a really cute and talented actress.  Tabloids and fame made her the uncontrollable tornado she is now.  

The thing about YouTube is that no one from YouTube has gone through as many years of tabloid-torment as Lindsay Lohan or Winona Ryder or Paris Hilton or Britney Spears has, so we haven't yet seen the effects it has when the kid matures more.  The internet blows up everyone's opinions of these poor kids, and I can only imagine that they're more likely than anyone to end up the same way.  Broken, stolen from.  

I agree that her lyrics are crap and her singing isn't amazing, but let's be honest:  most people cannot sing better than her.  I watched her sing live and she has nice pitch and a cool tone, especially considering that she's 13.  I think that people should concentrate more on better aspects of young pop stars and encourage them rather than tell them to kill themselves.  For example, look at her smile the entire video.  She just smiles and sings stupid lyrics and then her smile inevitably gets bigger and prettier throughout the entire video.  How do you tell that face to kill herself, how?  

I know we like to have our little YouTube jokes, but how about we pick something like Drinking Out of Cups  instead to laugh it.  It's funnier, it's better, and you can't hurt the lizard's feeling by leaving rude comments.

(This is me coming back to Justin Bieber:  Stop calling him a fag.  Stop saying he's a girl or that he hasn't gone through puberty yet.  I'm not a fangirl, but the kid is legitimately talented.  He has a pretty voice, he's a good dancer and he can play the drums really well.  So stop.  You don't have to enjoy his music but you have no right to comment on his sexuality or his penis.  Hop off it.)

1 comment:

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura