Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Alright so here it is.  While I regularly refrain from correcting the grammar of the unfortunate miscreants who show up on my news feed, for some reason tonight I was just looking to teach the difference between who and that.  You should never say "He is the man that went to the supermarket", you should say "He is the man who went to the supermarket" because who refers to a person.  While this rule is actually unnecessary because grammar is only meant to facilitate communication and make it more efficient, and therefore the purpose of grammar is slaughtered when it is corrected and an argument is had over it, because you know what they mean anyway, it is still a grammatical rule and when you're 18 years old AKA you have just spent 13 years NONSTOP in school, YOU SHOULD JUST KIND OF KNOW THIS SORT OF SHIT.

My run-on sentences were a rhetorical choice.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Speaking of rhetorical choices, if you ever want to cover up the fact that you're dumb and make grammatical mistakes, call it a rhetorical choice and no one will argue with you because no one except AP Lang students has any idea what a rhetorical choice might be.  Now you know.  I have let you in on a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura