Tuesday, January 3, 2012

If I were to write a chapter in Is everyone hanging out without me? This would be it.

So I just finished reading Mindy Kaling's book Is everyone hanging out without me?  so you can go ahead and recognize right now that my writing style may sound a little more Kelly Kapoor-ish than usual.

Today I worked out.  Twice.  I also remembered deodorant.  Once.

I gymnastics worked out for about an hour and a half, I was thirty minutes late because my car doors were iced shut*, a hilarious twist in my life courteous of mother nature.  Gymnastics work-outs though are... not that hard most of the time.  Granted, doing 15 tumbling passes or vault passes in a row is basically the equivalent of running 5 miles (which to me is like a huge horrible mysterious thing and that is not hyperbolic in anyway I swear) only you finish in 30 minutes or less instead of in an hour.  So when you do stuff like that, gymnastics is really good exercise.  But then there is also excessive amounts of standing around and waiting in line, which could be avoided if I was more motivated and less in pain all the time, but alas, it is not avoided.

After gymnastics, I drank a redbull which was definitely the reason why I was in the mood for a rec-center workout as well.  I always go around 8 or 8:30, because there are usually only 2 or 3 people from my school there rather than at 4 when literally every person I have ever met just so happens to be at the rec center.  That, and at 8 or 8:30 is also when other out of shape people go to work out, so we all can bond in our lack of fitness abilities.

Well, that's actually being modest to the point of lying for me.  I am pretty athletically capable but in less practical things.  Like I am really fantastic at stretching, but that's because it enables me to sit on the floor.  I am also good at weight lifting with legs because I have huge quads and hamstrings.  Where I lack athletic ability is in like, things that are really good for you, like running.  I couldn't run a mile in under 10 minutes unless there was a gun to my head, and even then I would probably start retching halfway through.  I can use the elliptical for days, but that's because I never actually feel like I am getting a workout from it.

So anyways, I went to the rec with my mom's iPod (because mine is dead and I can't find the charger**) and Mindy's book and I went to town on the elliptical.  I decided I would run until I finished the book, because I only had 20 pages left.  Let me tell you: I am a really really good elliptical-multi-tasker.  You know how when you work out, you listen to upbeat tunes to keep you going fast in cardio?  You know what I was listening to while keeping a steady pace of an 8 minute mile?  John freakin Mayer.  And reading a book.  And putting down the book to take sips out of my water bottle every so often.  I felt like spiderman.

So I was feeling all confident and I "ran" two and a half miles in twenty minutes.  I walked over to the arm weights because I want to be able to do pull-ups (and chin-ups for that matter) and I did a few sets of 16 on 65 lbs.  Which I admit, is definitely not the best weight I've ever been able to lift at that many reps in three sets, but I'm working on it, and then I did a different arm machine and then I went back to the first one and then the second one again.

And then, I saw it.  The three and a half or so foot tall red shiny platform used for jumping on top of.  I assume this strengthens leg muscles and such, and we do a lot of jumping in gymnastics, and I had done things like that on four foot platforms before so I was like fuck yeah, Hartman, you go do ten of those jumps and see how it goes.  Let me tell you, 1-8 went really really well.  But um, 9...  It hurt like a bitch.  Somehow I miscalculated my jump and I went wonky in a way such that I hit, and then landed on, my left mild-shin-splinty-shin.  It was the kind of bruise that comes so fast that it practically came before the injury even happened.  I'm sure it will be black tomorrow and will hurt for the next two weeks sooooo awesome.

But I did finish the set.  After some mild profanity.  Just kidding, it was pretty profane profanity.

After that I dipped out.  As you can imagine, I had pretty much had my full share of work out Hayley for the night.  And of course my less affectionate of my two cats, Mao, has decided that tonight is a great night to lay on top of my leg.  But now he's licking himself in a really hilarious way as if he knows I needed some lolz.  Thanks cat!

So that is my terrible workout story.  Also, today I got an English paper back that said I would be a good writer if I would spend more time on it.  Yeah, I know Mrs. Thomas.  Story of my life.

*Also I had to eat a sandwich
**Typical

1 comment:

  1. I empathize with this. Working out like normal people does not even work for me.... I miss you friend

    ReplyDelete

things I like

  • clocky alarm clocks!!! *mom, christmas?!
  • L4D2
  • squirrels
  • gilmore girls, I watch it. All. The. Time.
  • thanksgiving
  • tv
  • acoustic music
  • singing loud
  • my best friend, Laura